Welcome to Day FIVE of the Online Archery Carnival!
Read the May 24 post for information on the Carnival and how to participate. Each Carnival Challenge will be communicated in the following format. You can choose to submit a video or a photo via Instagram or Facebook (or e-mail or text if you are not of social media) to demonstrate your participation and help other participants feel the momentum of the event. Instructions on how to do that are found on the March 24 blog post. If on Instagram, use #archerycarnival2020 so that we know you have posted; if on Facebook, use @sattvaarchery and make sure it activates.
Move to the Music
Description of Challenge & Performance
- Find a song in 3:4 time that you find inspirational. Shoot pr use body or stretch band to the rhythm of that song.
- 75 repetitions of the shot cycle to that song.
- Take a video of one of your best repetitions with the music in the background.
- Archer can communicate how the force and direction of their movements evolve, relative to time, over the course of the shot cycle
- Archer identifies a 3:4 time signature song that they find personally inspiring
- Shoot with a greater awareness for rhythm
- Shoot with greater rhythmic consistency
- Your favorite song in 3:4 time
- A device to play music out of
- Your body or a stretch band or a bow.
Criteria for Assessment & Feedback
- Does the archer move through the shot cycle with an appropriate rhythm and flow?
- Set: 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3 Beats
- Set Up: 1, 2 Beats (raising bow up and peak of raised bow), 3, 1, 2, 3 Beats (coiling down, bringing string hand/bow hand back down to shoulder height. Consciously move lower inside corner of drawing shoulder blade towards spine and lock into lower traps by the time you finish these “beats”
- Draw: 1 Beat, make the drawing action quick and decisive from the end of Set Up to the Load Position
- Load: 2, 3 Beat, Further contract upper back muscles (not upper trapezius) to feel connected from draw elbow all the way through the upper back, down the bow arm to the pressure point on the grip hand.
- Anchor: 1, 2, 3 Beats, this is a short movement so that fact that it takes a full 1, 2, 3 indicates that it is very slow.
- Transfer: 1, 2, 3, Beats. This is an even shorter movement so the fact that it takes 1, 2, 3, beats must mean that it is even slower than anchor.
- Hold: Find holding physically and mentally
- Expand: 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3 (roughly 3 seconds) to shot execution
- 25 or 50 or 100 repetitions. 75 is prescription.
- Could be done with just body, just stretch band, or a bow with arrows
Video or Photo Submission Criteria for this Challenge
- Photo: Get video of you performing your “best” repetition with the music playing in the background.
- Post to Instagram and use #archerycarnival2020. or to your Facebook page and mention/tag @SattvaArchery ….or just e-mail or text Coach Kyle photos/videos.